Fresh tension has enveloped Utono community in Ngaski Local Government Area of Kebbi State after suspected terrorists allegedly sent a letter demanding N100 million from residents before they would be “allowed” to enter the town.
The development has heightened anxiety in the agrarian community and surrounding settlements, coming at a time when parts of Kebbi State and neighbouring areas continue to grapple with attacks, kidnappings and extortion by armed groups operating in rural corridors.
The letter, reportedly written in Hausa and dated February 17, 2026, was said to have been delivered to community leaders in the early hours of Thursday. In the message, the group warned residents not to treat the threat lightly, describing it as a serious notice of their intention to move into the area. They demanded the payment of N100 million, stating that failure to comply would attract severe consequences.
According to the content of the letter, the group claimed it was coming to “preach,” but insisted that the payment must be made beforehand. The message also reportedly warned that seeking help from security agencies would not prevent the planned incursion, a claim that has further unsettled residents.
The attackers were also said to have referenced a previous incident in Woru community in Kiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, where lives were lost after an earlier warning was allegedly ignored. The mention of that attack has reportedly deepened fear among residents, many of whom now worry that the threat could be carried out if not urgently addressed.
In response to the development, the Kebbi State Government confirmed awareness of the letter and assured residents that proactive steps had been taken to prevent any attack. The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Ahmed Idris, disclosed that security operatives have been deployed to Utono and nearby communities to strengthen surveillance and deter any potential incursion.
He added that air surveillance and other strategic security measures have been activated to reassure residents and ensure that the situation does not escalate. Authorities have urged members of the community to remain calm, vigilant and cooperative with security agencies.
As of the time of filing this report, security presence has been significantly reinforced in Utono and neighbouring settlements, while residents remain on high alert amid lingering uncertainty over the threat.
Post comments (0)