play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

Listeners:

Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
  • play_arrow

    ALMOND 94.3 FM Ibadan

News

Oyo school attack: Seven teachers abducted, one killed.

today18/05/2026 5

Background
share close

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while the exact number of missing pupils is yet to be determined.

The governor made this known on Sunday while addressing journalists on the security situation following the invasion of the schools by suspected gunmen.

Makinde disclosed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, adding that security agencies had arrested six suspects within the community and three other persons of interest in connection with the incident.

According to the governor, the attackers are believed to be members of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West region of the country.

“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” he said.

Makinde explained that he had been engaging with authorities in other states over the growing security threat, warning that displaced criminal groups could exploit areas with weak security presence.

“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” the governor stated.

He further revealed that preliminary intelligence reports suggested that some of those arrested may have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities.

“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde added.

The governor stressed that the state government would not rely solely on military action in addressing the crisis, noting that consultations were ongoing with community, religious and traditional leaders, including officials of the Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools is owned by the church.

“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.

Makinde appealed to residents to remain calm and assured families of the abducted victims that efforts were underway to secure their safe return.

“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.

Describing the situation as “very difficult and challenging,” the governor announced that the state government would commence daily press briefings to keep residents updated on rescue operations and ongoing security efforts.

Written by: Adeola Akinbade

Rate it

Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't miss a beat
0%
Verified by ExactMetrics